19 May 2014

Letter 29: I can never think of titles.

Dearest Panimalay kag mga Abyan,
Hello from the Hot Philippines (I swear EVERYONE hates it. I LOVE IT.) I used to wear socks at night to keep the mosquitoes (or: Lamok) from eating my feet (it's too hot for that thin bedsheet I brought with me) but it's too hot at night now. So now I just turn the fan on full blast and pray my feet won't get too many bites. Sister Marticio (my housemate) has started sleeping on the tile floor every once in a while. haha, she's Pinay and thinks it's too hot.
So you know family, Sister Taufanga was able to get a hold of her family! We spent the rest of the P-day trying to get the phone call to connect (turns out Philippines to Tonga or Tonga to Philippines is just really difficult and expensive on both ends) and EVENTUALLY, her mother was able to get through, and they got about half an hour to talk. She was super down all day because the phones weren't connecting, but after that she was so happy, and SO focused on the work. I was so proud of her.
It was a TRACTING week! (for the second time in a row) Lovin' getting some new investigators, because our large teaching pool has slowly dwindled into a very small teaching pool of people who like to punt us. TIME FOR CHANGE. We've tracted near the university. Teaching students can be an adventure. They never reply (actually, no one here replies to texts. very rarely do they reply. .) Always go home for the weekend, have homework and exams. . . and the university in our area is NICE, So there are people from all over, and well, I don't speak Karay-a. (or Aklanon. Or Tagalog. *sigh*)
We actually had a day where we had NO lessons. Let me tell you, that does not happen. Every one of our appointments fell through, and then we went tracting (that's always the next step. It's like the missionary motto or something. "None of your investigators want to listen? Go get some new ones!") and still no one let us in! Oh well, at least I'm going to come home, and never want to drive anywhere. It's better to WALK. :D (I'm glad I like walking, or would not like missionary work very much)
One of my favorite things that happened this week was that we went to go teach a second lesson to a new investigator (actually, a FAMILY. We never teach families. rarely is more than one person interested) and the Less Active member just down the street was over at their house! She was playing cards, which isn't the best past time. . .But she stayed for the lesson! And as we walked her home (because we were going to go teach her granddaughter. haha) she said that if we had appointments with her neighbors, she'd come work with us! YAY!

Alex has come to church 3 times in a row, and we STILL haven't taught him! haha, it's really hard to keep an appointment with a deaf person when they don't have a cell phone for communication, and his housemates aren't willing to wake him up from his nap. (everyone just naps here in the afternoon. Why? because it's HOT.) He's actually our ONLY progressing investigator.
Reynier would be progressing, but we saw him smoking, and we taught him the WoW weeks ago, and he said he hasn't smoked in years. Now we get to teach WoW again, and teach him that it's not very nice to lie to the missionaries.
I don't think I tried any strange foods this week. I might take some pictures of food (what is this, instagram?) to show you what it looks like. (haha, mostly it's rice, and something on top. But the Sud-an (or "Rice Topping') is always different and interesting)
Palangga Ta Kamo!
-Sister Smith
 CSP! Gotta love cleaning!  (haha, in a white shirt.
not one of my brightest ideas)
I think this is hilarious. It reminds me of a pair
of shoes I used to wear when I was four or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment