24 March 2014

Letter 21: Rain Rain Don't Go Away

Dearest Panimalay kag mga Abyan.
Once again. . I sit at the Computer trying to think of what to write about. . .
umm... Yep, Mom, even though you've said that I have an easier time writing than you because "But for you there is so much you can write about, new investigators, the culture, new foods, fun experiences, etc. . . "
What's crazy is that all becomes Normal!
But let's get started on that list.
New Investigators:
She's actually not that new. I wrote about her last week. But I'm just so impressed by Emily. She wasn't able to make it to church because she'd been called into work for an emergency (the poor woman had to work a double shift. and then go in again Sunday night). But she had really wanted to go. Even though last week during Relief Society made the comment that if you're going to take the sacrament you should be wearing a skirt, and  she was slightly offended because she was wearing jeans. (she doesn't own a skirt, we told her she could wear pants, or anything she felt comfortable in) she told us later in the week, (we'd totally missed it. gotta love that language barrier), and we apologized, but she was so chill about it. She really gets that "The Church is perfect, and the members are just trying their best" type of thing. She's just so prepared for this, and is really preparing toward her baptism.
The Culture:
Security System
Standard anti burglar system. Really scary glass that almost looks pretty, but really just looks scary.
New Foods:
Actually. . haven't tried anything especially new this week. OH Wait. I did. Green Bread. I don't remember what it was called, but it was green. . and it pretty much tasted like: Bread. Or, as a Ilongga would call it: Tinapay (Tee Nah Pie) Also, this green pudding (a lot of green in the same day) that wasn't too sweet, but there was just a lot of it, so it was hard to finish. Camote (Cah Moe Tay) is like a sweet potato, and is just really delicious.
I've stopped eating rice everyday. As much as I LOVE it (Like, I love eating rice for lunch EVERYDAY. I really do, this isn't sarcasm, I promise.) when you eat that much sugar/starch (because that's what it is), it's really not that healthy. (unless you're a Filipina and that's how you've eaten your entire life. Rice: 3-5 times a day)

Fun Experiences:
It rained so HARD yesterday! (what's crazy is that it wasn't actually as hard as it gets in the rainy season apparently.) I've never had it where the streets are flooded up to your ankles (and in this picture's case, half way up my calves) My bag was absolutely soaked! And my hair. And my back (because I was trying to keep my bag from getting even wetter, so my umbrella was faced more toward the front of me.) and well, it was just wet :D I loved it. But it's a good thing I keep everything (pamphlets, my BoM, 1 or 2 Libro Ni Mormons, my camera) in plastic bags! It's really the only reason everything survived the event. You gotta love it, all the Filipinos hiding in their homes to be dry, and the missionaries just trekking through the water.
Rain, rain . . .
Relief Society
There was a great RS Activity! We were invited, and part of the activity was going out and "Visiting the One." which was so nice, because now Sister Massé and I know where more Less Actives in our area are! (We've been trying to help the ward with their Rescuing efforts, but we only knew of three less actives in our area. One: Can't walk. Two: Runs away when she sees us coming. (that's a sad one.) and Three: Super Busy student who is rarely home. We're happy that we now have some more LAs we can visit.
We also got invited to Auxiliary meeting for the first time (New Bishopric! They're awesome.) It was really nice, because now we know the goals of the ward concerning Less Actives, and we were able to inform them how much more we would like to be apart of the Rescue Effort.

Sister Massé and I made a deal: I OYM people (talk to new people.) or we run in the morning. I guess we can say that the next morning I walked while Sister Massé jogged circles around me. At least she enjoyed it!
I got my new retainer! Now I know why people who wear their normal retainers (not my old Invisiline one) have a lisp. It's like having a spoonful of peanut butter stuck on your upper-palette and not being able to get it off at all.
And then, once again at the end of an email I think, 'Wow, a lot did happen this week!" haha. Anyway,
Palangga ko kamo gid!
The Church is True!
Love,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment